Beard balm and oil: what's the difference?
To take care of his fleece,’oil and the special beard balm are among the essential ingredients that must absolutely enter your daily routine.
As the good bearded gentleman that you are, the three main questions that must have plagued you are: What is the difference between a beard oil and a beard balm? ? For my beard, what product should I use ? And, finally, how to use them ?
At first glance, the two products seem quite similar, they both nourish the hair and moisturize the skin. And, any good bearded man knows that nourishing hair and moisturized skin go hand in hand ! So how and why to choose between the two ?
Long or short beard, with disciplined hair or in free electron mode, what is the real difference between a beard balm and a beard oil? ?
The truth is between these few lines…
What is beard oil ?
Beard oil is, as its name suggests, an oil-based product found in liquid form. This product is made with two main ingredients:
- An organic oil such as jojoba oil, d’argan’olive, avocado, d’sweet almond etc. The main objective of this oil is to deeply nourish the beard and moisturize the skin thanks to the many benefits of our friends plants and flowers;
- An essential oil which, despite its benefits, is mainly present to perfume the product. A large panel of’odors is then possible: spicy, woody, fruity…
To choose a good beard oil, always prefer oils with natural ingredients. The more natural it is, the more insane it is ! Avoid products whose composition includes too many chemicals, it is often bad for the hair and the skin.
In what format do we find beard oil? ?
Beard oil is found in small spray bottles or pipette bottles. Practical and economical since it avoids putting too much and wasting.
For the product to be effective, there is no need to put too much. Just put a few drops in the palm of your hand or put a spray on the beard and distribute well.
How to Apply Beard Oil ?
This product comes in liquid form and is very easy to apply. It is advisable to use beard oil in the morning and/or evening after washing your beard. This allows the nutrients in the oil to be better absorbed by the beard.
To apply your oil, you can proceed as follows:
- Place a few drops of oil in your hand (between 2 and 4 drops);
- Rub your hands together to distribute the product in your palms;
- Run your hands over your beard, making sure to massage the hairs well with your fingertips to help the oil penetrate better;
- Use a tooth comb (or your fingers, your choice) to style your beard. In addition to putting the bristles back in place, it helps to distribute the oil even more on the bristles.
The hairs are well hydrated, everything is fine on that side but be careful, don't forget to nourish your skin, the one under the beard ! Put 1 or 2 drops on your fingers and distribute the oil on your skin.
What are the benefits of beard oil ?
It's very simple, beard oil is a very important product in the care routine of a bearded man for several significant reasons:
- Beard oil deeply nourishes the hair to ensure its good health;
- The oil moisturizes the skin that hides under the beard. This prevents irritation, itching, dandruff etc. ;
- Finally, the oil is composed of essential oils to delicately perfume the hairs to feel beautiful to the end of the beard !
What is beard balm ?
Just like its friend the oil, the beard balm is a mixture of different essential and organic oils in addition to a mystery ingredient that transforms the liquid product into a solid product. This mystery ingredient is often beeswax or shea butter. The balm thus makes it possible to hydrate the skin, to nourish the hair, but also to discipline the rebellious hairs thanks to the wax or the butter.
The beard balm is presented as a lip balm, that is to say that the product is “solid” but melts very easily when heated a little (contact with the hands makes it more malleable for example).
To choose the right beard balm, always double check the ingredients. The effective beard balm is a balm composed of natural products ! Chemicals are to be banned.
In what format do we find the beard balm ?
This type of product is often sold in a jar or directly in a small metal box that closes with a screw cap.
Small in size, this product is very easy to carry and slips easily into a pocket or travel bag, for example (just like the bottles of’beard oil).
How to use a beard balm ?
Applying beard balm’Similar to using a moisturizer. The balm is used more in the morning since its composition often contains a styling ingredient (beeswax or shea butter most of the time).
To properly apply your balm, you can proceed as follows:
- Take a dab of balm and place it in your palm. The amount of balm used varies from beard to beard. A short beard will need less balm than a long beard. If the application of the balm was very quick, this means that the quantity of balm used was not sufficient;
- Rub your hands together to liquefy the balm a little;
- Run your hands over your beard, massaging the hairs with your fingertips. This helps to penetrate the product deeply;
- Use a tooth comb (or use your hand) to style your beard. This action also allows the balm to spread more.
There are a multitude of different balm textures. Test several to compare them and make your choice !
What are the benefits of beard balm ?
Just like beard oil, the balm has many benefits for your hair:
- It nourishes the hair in depth to guarantee health, shine and strength;
- It moisturizes the skin to avoid itching and tightness;
- The balm perfumes the beard thanks to the essential oil it contains;
- And, the Balm bonus, its mystery ingredient allows you to fix and style the most unruly hairs.
Oil and balm have significantly the same roles, your choice is made according to your texture preferences. However, the balm has a very interesting additional ingredient for rebel hair beardbus !